Monday, July 6, 2015

Silvi of Germany

Student at Ludwig Maximillians Universitat || World and culture enthusiast

24 February - 6 March 2015 || Teluk Bahang, Malaysia
On my last day in Teluk Bahang, we hiked through a forest and onto an empty beach where we lied down and just enjoyed each other's presence
Upon arriving at the cat shelter in Teluk Bahang, Silvi was the first to introduce me to the cats. She was comfortable seated in one of the couches, watching the sea while petting a tiny orange kitten when I came in looking lost and awkward. She started talking to me, asking about my cat interests. And when I told her I haven't held one in a decade ever since we moved out from my childhood home, she immediately offered her kitten and gave quick tips on how to hold it. After which, she went back to watching the sea and savoring the ocean breeze while I enjoyed the same plus a kitten on my lap.

Although it doesn't look and sound like it, Silvi is a few years younger than me. She's still a University student but she's already aware of the wonders of the world, of the diverse culture and experiences outside her country, of the value of friendship, and of the pleasure of simplicity. These are the realizations I didn't have until a few years ago -- when I had more than enough time to reflect and meditate on life.

Aside from all these, Silvi is the most appreciative person in my world. She believes that there is no enough appreciation in this world and that it is important that people receive appreciation for whatever big or small thing they accomplished. It builds the confidence that everyone needs, she says. And I can vouch for this. One time, we decided to paint parts of the cat shelter partly for beatification and partly because there wasn't much to do. She urged me to help her draw the shelter's logo but I declined because I knew I had no flair for drawing no matter how simple it is. However, she didn't stop urging me and when I finally agreed, she complimented my tree drawing like it was an expertly painted art without a trace of sarcasm or hint of insincerity. That transformed my insecurity to amazement for her and to pride for myself. After that, I'd happily pick up the paint brush and color whatever she wants me to.