Sunday, April 3, 2016

Anticipations and Disruptions

It has already been a 3-month wait that was spent on actually attempting to build a stable life in Manila -- consistent friends, a regular work schedule and workplace, and a bi-weekly gym appointment. I have packed my bags, arrived at the airport on time, and made accommodation bookings, but I can't seem to leave just yet. Not that I am unready, but that the airport isn't.

At 4:30am, NAIA T3 was brimming with lines of people trying to get inside. Past the x-ray machine, there's barely walking space across the departure hall. Overhead, check-in counters didn't have the instructive route displays. Uniformed airline representatives were out of sight. And, queues to anywhere weren't progressing. Needless to say, the fragile airport system broke down.

As if confirming the hopeless situation, at 4:45am, electricity went out and airport operations froze.

However, even after Cebu Pacific announced cancellation of several flights, passengers remained hopeful -- staying in line, awaiting further information, queuing at the booking office, and considering other airline operators. I was one of them.

Completely set on departing for and arriving at Butuan on this exact day, I held on to the fact that my flight number wasn't proclaimed cancelled. So I patiently and calmly stayed in line at the drop-bag counter. After a couple of hours observing other passengers, I finally decided to do something and checked with an airline representative. She admitted that although my flight hasn't taken off, it is unlikely that it will and re-booking my flight would be the recommended course of action.

This left me stuck and unproductive. I didn't want to leave only to make the trip to the airport again. I didn't want to wait another day to start my long-awaited trip. And I didn't want to arrive at Butuan late during the day. Regrettably. all alternatives inevitably lead to one of the above.

Now I'm at a coffee shop inside the airport, trying to both wait out the line and to make a decision. It's unfortunate that my trip isn't going as planned and will likely be postponed to another day but it is also an experience that I can draw from and have managed to write something about.

Oh well. Here's to breaking out of Manila eventually.


A snapshot of the lines that extended from the previous night to the afternoon the following day.
PS: News articles have been mentioning a 5-hour outage and I am not sure whether this already refers to the two instances that power went out (one at around 9pm on Saturday and another at around 5am on Sunday). I pity the airlines who had to absorb lost sales, additional costs, and customer rage as well as my fellow passengers who have been unnecessarily inconvenienced and frustrated.