Sunday, July 31, 2016

In Pursuit of A Life Well-Lived

I was in Siargao Island when I received a job opportunity to work with an international research agency. The opportunity appealed to me because it is online-based and is with a prestigious company, so I updated my CV and submitted it. I was in Cebu City when I received a response from the agency and an invitation to take an assessment exam. I took the hour-long written exam, hated it, felt like I did badly, and threw away the idea of working with the company. I was in Panglao Island when I received an email invitation for a Skype interview with the project commissioner. It was totally unexpected and definitely flattering so I talked with them for a couple of hours and then they confirmed that they are contracting me.

Upon that confirmation, I felt unsure of whether I really wanted the job or not, knowing how demanding and challenging and stressful it will be. It felt like being pulled back to the life I just left but at the same time, I thought it can also be the opportunity I need to achieve a semi-nomadic life. It was definitely possible. It is going to be difficult, but yes, it is possible.

From Panglao, I decided to go to Dumaguete City. I have been to the student town  before and I know it can serve my office needs. I booked an apartment for two weeks, after which I need to decide whether to stay, transfer to a different city/island, or fly back to Manila. Going back to Manila would be the most practical and most comfortable. Moving to a different city or town would be the most complicated and risky. Staying in Dumaguete would be neither practical nor comfortable and would also be complicated and risky. I decided to stay.

On weekdays, I worked on my laptop. On weekends, I hunted for an apartment. On lunch breaks and early afternoons, I explored the city. It was a difficult and exhausting juggle between work, life, and play. Several times, I seriously considered quitting and disappearing. The company had no idea where I am and had no means to hunt me down, with only my professional reputation at risk. But that's just going to add to the things I am running away from. So with a lot of push and some support, I kept going and managed to hold my sanity (although I already am insane for attempting such).

Moving out of my AirBnB room, I found an apartment with kitchen and broadband internet by contacting every "room for rent" sign I see. Before that, I had no idea how people find places to live in. As a means of getting around, I rented a scooter which I eventually upgraded to a motorbike. I drove out every day, even with no reason, and reached as far out as 30km on my own. On most days, I cooked and prepared my meals, and learned to feed myself and others with honestly delicious meals. Previously, I can only make "sad food" which is edible enough just for myself. But most of the time, I was hunched up on my chair, making calls to Manila-based companies, scouring the internet for information and statistics, and burning nights to finish reports and deliverables.

After 7 weeks in Dumaguete City (and more than a month in various places), I finally went back to Manila. I carried with me not just a new opportunity of achieving the life I want to live but a real attempt at it. I am still in the middle of the attempt, and of the opportunity, but maybe I can make it. Maybe, in the end, I will be living the life I want to live.

A ship in the middle of the vast ocean turning towards the sunrise through calm seas
Like a sturdy boat in the middle of the sea, I'll keep floating amidst the waves until I find my anchor.