Tuesday, February 9, 2016

That time I was abroad for a month (3/3)

Kuala Lumpur - Penang - Kuala Lumpur

I figured I'd split this post into at least three parts not only to keep each post short but also to segment it according to each event. This part narrates my solo adventures in Penang and departure back to Manila.

13 February - 13 March 2015

Day 12: KL - Teluk Bahang

My days of travelling with company were done and I am finally heading out to start my solo adventure and to realize the real reason I went to Malaysia. After a torturous walk down to Puduraya bus terminal, an hour wait at the chaotic bus bays, and 4 hours at the expressway, I finally arrived at the Sungai Nibong (Sg. Nibong) Express Bus Terminal in Penang Island. I took some time to take in the new surroundings, eat a late lunch and then boarded the Rapid Penang bus specified on my directions.

I had no idea where I was exactly but I remained calm and resolved to watching Penang become a real place from the bus windows.
Half an hour later, a Caucasian lady boarded and started (or rather continued) talking to her male companion about cats. I intently listened and hypothesized she could be the cat lady I was looking for. When they got off the bus, I immediately followed and approached them. Fortunately, they were the folks from Pantay Kuching (Cat Beach) and they immediately introduced me to the rest of the team: a boy from Finland playing with some local kids, a girl from Germany petting a kitten while looking out at the sea, a girl from the USA who just walked in, another girl I didn't have a chance to know feeding medicine to another kitten, and a guy from Germany who just came in from the kitchen. By the evening, another girl from the USA arrived and joined our group.

Our small wooden house looks out to the sea and is granted first-row seats of the sunset and the salty breeze every day.

Day 13-22: Teluk Bahang

The following days consisted mostly of cleaning chores, feeding abandoned kittens, fighting for couch space with the cats, and staring at the sea, all while getting to know my fellow volunteers.

Cat Beach shelters, feeds, and cares for over 100 stray cats. The cats are completely up for adoption.


On my first day out, I went with the Finland guy and Germany girl to the nearby Forest Park (Taman Rimba) where we swam in the natural pond. Afterwards, we went up to the Water Reservoir and watched the sunset amidst philosophical wanderings.

On a another day, I spent a few hours with the German girl to look at the butterflies, insects, and reptiles in the Butterfly Farm and then at textiles and clothing at the Batik Factory.

The following day, I took off on my own and explored adjacent Batu Ferringhi. I exchanged for some Malaysian Ringgit at the money changer and then watched some vacationers enjoy their time at the beach.

On the last day of Chinese New Year, our host's friend took us to Kek Lok Si Temple and waited to watch the Chinese lanterns alight for the last time that year

The following night, we watched some local Indians put out floating candles into the sea and then perform dances as part of a festivity.

On my last day in Teluk Bahang, I went out again with the Finland guy and the German girl to the National Park (Teman Negara) where we hiked to the deserted Turtle Beach (Pantai Kerachut) and then went off-trail to swim at a small river.

Day 23-27: Georgetown

After spending 10 days in Teluk Bahang, caring for the cats and the cat house as best as I could, I travelled back to Georgetown to explore the touristy side of Penang. On days when I needed to do some work, I would work on my laptop in one of the quaint coffee shops in the morning and then walk around the city in the afternoon. It was a city characterized by street art and street food, by heritage and modern buildings, and by nature and concrete.

Heritage buildings converted into shophouses at the front and a modern glass building jutting out at the back.

A cluster of buildings beside a clean shoreline and esplanade

Remnant of a street art with a backdrop of condominium buildings and a small hill

Day 28: Georgetown - KL

Just before noon, I started my journey back to KL (and back to the Manila). I arrived in the city just in time for a Korean dinner with my friend in KL and her officemates.

My last photo in Malaysia is with the forever glorious and adamant Petronas Twin Towers

Day 29: Kuala Lumpur - Manila

After bidding another round of goodbyes with my friend and her officemates, I packed all of my belongings, hailed a taxi to KL Central, took the KLIA Express to KLIA2, and spent my last remaining RM on a McDonald's lunch. By midnight, I was back in Manila and it was the end of my Singapore-Malaysia adventure. But then again, that was just the end of the beginning and a start for another adventure.

Part 1: That time I was abroad for a month (1/3)
Part 2: That time I was abroad for a month (2/3)